University of Alabama
Health and Well-Being
- Talk to your student about the Student Health Center—it’s important to know where it is and how services work before he/she gets sick or need help. Encourage him/her to learn about the health center charges, as well as the services offered. For more information, students can visit the Student Health Center web site or call (205) 348-2778.
- Encourage your student to use University Recreation on a regular basis. This physical activity can help reduce stress. For more information, students can visit the University Recreation web site or call (205) 348-5164.
- You may be in the best position to notice and address any difficulties that your student is having so when you talk, ask about their day, challenges they are having and upcoming events.
- If your student is feeling overwhelmed, encourage him to visit the Counseling Center if one or both of you think it is necessary. Reassure him/her that counseling services are provided confidentially and that you support him as they reach out for assistance. For more information, students can visit the Counseling Center web site or call (205) 348-3863.
- Talk to your student about your values in terms of sexual relationships and the risks involved. Although this can be a difficult conversation, students stay true to their values when they have been discussed.