Choosing a Major at FIU
By Bianny Fernandez Senior Academic Advisor-Team Lead Undergraduate Education
Welcome to Florida International University! Choosing an appropriate major can often times be a challenging task for students, which is why many identify themselves as exploratory.
Although it is typical for students to be nervous about choosing the ‘right’ major, it is crucial that students be proactive and take the necessary steps to selecting a major as early as possible. To help with selecting a major we encourage students to utilize the resources listed below that are available at Florida International University.
Academic Advising Center
Speak to an advisor in PC 249 if you are exploring majors as they assist students in many ways:
- Interpreting MyMajorMatch results. This assessment is available when logging into my.fiu.edu, under the academics tab.
- Learning about the Workshops and major-related Professional Panels offered every semester. Workshop topics include: How to Choose a Major, Networking 101, Time Management, Course Registration, and Linking Courses with Career Skills, and Interested in the Health Field but not wanting to Pursue Medical School.
- Learning how to use MyMajor.fiu.edu and Catalog.fiu.edu to research FIU majors and requirements
Courses for Exploratory Students (1 credit)
Take Discover Your Major (SLS 1402 – Freshmen Only) or Major and Career Exploration (SLS 3407 – Sophomore standing required) to:
- Learn how to match their interests and skills to an appropriate major or career.
- Learn how to utilize campus resources.
- Learn how to interpret MyMajorMatch and other assessment results.
- Be able to make an informed decision on selecting a major or career path.
Visit Career Services to develop as a young professional while also:
- Learning about workshops and assessments that will help them narrow down his or her options.
- Learning about career options with his or her specific degree.
- Inquiring about internships available to expose the student to a field of interest.
- Seeking help on developing an impressive and representative resume.
At FIU, our goal is for students to feel connected to the campus and take full advantage of our resources. A big part of that involves assisting students with identifying a field of study and working with them to develop an academic plan that will enable them to be successful. Being an exploratory student is a reality for many college students. It is important for those students to know, however, that there are a number of resources available to guide them through the decision-making process!
To receive more information regarding Career Services, please visit career.fiu.edu.