In 1890, when advanced education was often reserved for society's elite, Chicago minister Frank Gunsaulus delivered what came to be known as the "Million Dollar Sermon."
From the pulpit of his South Side church, near the site Illinois Institute of Technology (IIT) now occupies, Gunsaulus said that with a million dollars he would build a school where students from all backgrounds could prepare for meaningful roles in a changing industrial society. Philip Danforth Armour, a Chicago meat packer and grain merchant, heard Gunsaulus' sermon and came to share the minister's vision. He agreed to finance the endeavor with the stipulation that Gunsaulus become the first president of Armour Institute.
When Armour Institute opened in 1893, it offered professional courses in engineering, chemistry, architecture and library science. IIT was created in 1940 by the merger of Armour Institute with Lewis Institute (est. 1895), a West Side Chicago college that offered liberal arts as well as science and engineering courses. The Institute of Design, founded in 1937, merged with IIT in 1949.
Stuart School of Business was added in 1969, as a gift from the estate of Lewis Institute alumnus and Chicago financier Harold Leonard Stuart. The school became the Stuart School of Business in 1999. Midwest College of Engineering, founded in 1967, joined the university in 1986, forming the nucleus for IIT's Rice Campus in west suburban Wheaton.
Today, IIT is a private, Ph.D.-granting university with programs in engineering, science, psychology, architecture, business, design and law.
One of the 16 institutions that comprise the Association of Independent Technological Universities (AITU), IIT offers exceptional preparation for professions that require technological sophistication. Through committed faculty and close personal attention, IIT provides a challenging academic program focused by the rigor of the real world.
IIT has more than 40,000 living alumni and is known as the alma mater of accomplishments as well as of people. IIT and IITRI scientists and engineers have made some of the century's most important technological advances, such as the invention of magnetic recording and the development of re-entry technology for spacecraft. IIT architects have shaped the skyline of Chicago and cities throughout the world.
IIT Research Institute has several locations throughout the United States, and the university has five campuses in the Chicago area. The 120-acre Main Campus, centered at 33rd and State Streets in Chicago, as well as many of its buildings, was designed by Ludwig Mies van der Rohe, who directed the architecture program from 1938 to 1958 and was one of the 20th century's most influential architects. In 1976, the American Institute of Architects recognized the campus as one of the 200 most significant works of architecture in the U.S.
S.R. Crown Hall, home of IIT College of Architecture, was named a National Historic Landmark in 2001, and the remainder of the IIT Main Campus was entered into the National Register of Historic Places in 2005.
The state-of-the-art, 10-story Downtown Campus at 565 West Adams Street houses Chicago-Kent College of Law, the Center for Financial Markets, and the Master of Public Administration Program.
The Institute of Design, an international leader in teaching systemic, human-centered design, is located at 350 N. LaSalle Street in Chicago's River North neighborhood.
The 19-acre Daniel F. and Ada L. Rice Campus in west suburban Wheaton complements area community colleges, serving west suburban residents and employees in Illinois' high-tech corridor by offering graduate programs, upper-level undergraduate courses, and continuing professional education.
The five-acre Moffett Campus in suburban Summit-Argo houses the National Center for Food Safety and Technology, a unique consortium of government, industry and academia that seeks to improve the quality and safety of the nation's food supply.