Disability Services at LVC
The Office of Disability Services, assists students with a learning disability, medical condition, or psychological disorder to determine how to best meet the College’s academic requirements and achieve their educational goals. Although it is a matter of personal choice whether or not to disclose a disability, students are encouraged to do so.
Through consultation with the director, the Office of Disability Services provides many support services, including:
- Assistance in obtaining information to document a known or suspected disability, including referrals to local psychologists or medical professionals;
- Academic advising adjunctive to that offered by faculty advisors;
- Counseling on disability-related issues;
- Determination of course-specific accommodations each semester;
- One-to-one assistance in developing compensatory learning strategies, study skills, test-taking strategies, time management skills, and self-advocacy skills;
- Access to distraction-reduced testing rooms;
- Access to individualized assistance at the Writing Center; and,
- Access to textbooks on tape, tape recorders to tape lectures, and other assistive technology.