Here’s some practical advice to help encourage your student during that critical first year:
- Let your student make their own choices to pursue a path that reflects who they are.
- Encourage them to not be swayed by “hot” jobs.
- A great benefit of college is that it offers a variety of classes. Encourage your student to explore courses that pique their interest.
- Support their involvement in activities that develop leadership, teamwork, time management, and other career-related skills.
- Be patient and reassuring. Occasionally students struggle with important and stressful choices, so give them plenty of room to reflect and consider options.
- Recommend that they visit the Career Center. Our staff is experienced in helping students think through their interests, talents, strengths, and values. We specialize in guiding students wisely as they make these important life decisions.
- Encourage your student to utilize our outstanding career technology including MyMajors.com; Focus 2; Vault Insider Guides; Career Briefs, and our website at for additional exploration needs.
Contact us at: Tivoli Student Center Room 267; (303) 556-2250; web site