API in Paris, France: Language and Culture
Students who choose to study abroad in Paris with API in the Language and Culture Studies Program select a combination of French language and cultural electives, referred to as French Civilization courses. The number of credits earned for each language course and the cultural electives varies according to the particular session a student selects. Additionally, as indicated below, in some sessions the French Civilization electives are available only to students at specific levels. A student’s French level is based on a placement exam administered upon arrival by the CCFS. The CCFS divides their language levels into 5 main categories: Débutant (A1), Élémentaire (A2), Intermédaire (B1), Avancé (B2), and Supérieur (C1).
- Beginning level (A1) students selecting the fall quarter program complete 8 credits of language and 1 credit of phonetics instruction for a total of 9 semester credits. Fall quarter students at this language level may attend the French Civilization course, but will not receive credit or a grade, since the exam will be above their level.
- Students above the beginning level (A2 and higher) selecting the fall quarter program complete 8 credits of language instruction, 1 credit of phonetics instruction, and a 2-credit French civilization course for a total of 11 semester credits.
FALL SEMESTER AND SPRING SEMESTER
- All students selecting a semester program complete 8 credits of language instruction, 1 credit of phonetics instruction, and 4-6 credits of French civilization courses for a total of 13-15 semester credits per semester.
- Students at the Intermediate (B1) language level or above have the option of earning an additional credit for 1-2 of their civilization courses by completing a supplementary paper for each course at the close of the semester.
- Students at the Intermediate (B1) language level or above have the option of earning an additional three credits each semester if they complete an elective course taught exclusively for API students (see course offerings page for details). Students generally take this course in place of one of the cultural courses at the CCFS. An additional fee may be charged for participation in the API course (whether taken in place of or in addition to a regular elective course). Course subject to minimum enrollment.
- A limited number of teaching internships are also available for students at the Intermediate (B1) language level or above. An additional fee is charged for participation in the 3-credit internship.