Work Schedule: May 20th-August 16th, Full Time
Shift: Monday-Friday: 8:45am to 4:15pm and Wednesday 8:30 to 4:15pm
Occasional overnights for special camp events
Hourly position, with overtime potential. Pay ranges from $10 to $11.50 per hour based on experience.
PRIMARY PURPOSE OF JOB
Responsible for ensuring the health, safety, and recreational fun for all campers and oversee daily camp activities, based on assigned camp group.
- High School Diploma or equivalent required
- One year of college preferred
- Experience working with children ages 6 to 12 years old preferred
- Current certifications in First Aid and CPR, or ability to obtain
- Able to teach and lead various recreational activities
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
1. Responsible for the safety and well-being of a group of 10-15 campers.
2. Communicate with parents about participant's experiences and report concerns to Camp Leadership.
3. Assist in maintaining accurate program records including incident reports and daily attendance.
4. Know and understand ALL emergency procedures associated with the camp program.
5. Oversee and participate in activities and keep group on schedule.
6. Learn likes and dislikes of campers.
7. Carry out established camp procedures and rules.
8. Attend camp orientation and weekly staff meetings.
9. Share in responsibility of leading song session and daily cleaning duties (such as, but not limited to after lunch and at the end of the day).
10. Plan and lead chugim (camper enrichment periods) based on individuals interest, talents and skills.
11. Assist in maintaining cleanliness of JCC, especially art room, locker rooms, and Auditorium.
12. Recognize and respond to opportunities for group problem solving.
13. Provide opportunities for the group to ensure individuals experience success while at camp.
14. Set a good example for campers in all areas, including cleanliness, punctuality, rules and sportsmanship.
15. Guide campers in successful participation in all aspects of camp activities.
16. Implement and enforce health and safety rules, regulations and procedures in accordance with ACA regulation and JCC regulation.
17. Attend camper overnight activities as assigned.
18. Sign up for before & after hours as needed.
19. Other responsibilities as assigned by Supervisor.
- Relate to and work with campers, members, parents, guests, professional staff, and lay leaders.
- Handle multiple tasks.
- Identify and resolve problems in a timely manner; involve and inform direct supervisor.
- Speak clearly and persuasively in positive or negative situations; listen and get clarification; respond well to questions; demonstrate group presentation skills; participate in meetings.
- Maintain confidentiality. Display willingness to make decisions; exhibit sound and accurate judgment; support and explain reasoning for decisions; include appropriate people in decision-making process; make timely decisions.
- Prioritize and plan work activities; use time efficiently; plan for additional resources; set goals, objectives, and action plans; take calculated risks to accomplish goals.
- Approach others in a tactful manner; react well under pressure; treat other with respect and consideration regardless of their status or position; accept responsibility for own actions; follow through on commitments.
- Demonstrate accuracy and thoroughness; look for ways to improve and promote quality; apply feedback to improve performance; meet productivity standards; complete work in timely manner; monitor own work to ensure quality.
- Apply common sense understanding to carry out instructions furnished in written, oral, or diagram form.
- Requires normal physical capabilities, including lifting or carrying light loads, reaching and standing, or sitting for extended periods of time. Requires being physically fit in order to participate in a wide variety of activities. Requires stamina to work long periods in a physically active environment. Requires dexterity with hands, speech, corrected hearing and vision within normal range.
- The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- This position will be working in well-lighted and ventilated areas, as well as throughout the facility. In addition, outside on a regular basis, weather permitted. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate to high depending on the number of members/campers.
CUSTOMER SERVICE STATEMENT
The Camp Counselor shares in the JCC's commitment to provide excellent customer service to its members and behaves professionally in all of his/her relationships with members and guests. Camp Counselors take the time to learn the names of as many individuals as possible and makes sure individual members are pleased with the services and programs provided by the JCC.
Every effort has been made to make this job description as complete as possible. It in no way states or implies that these are the only duties required. Other duties apply that are assigned.
Click Here to Apply