Tips for Parents
Beloit Mindset List for the Class of 2017
Parents! It’s arrived… the 2017 Beloit Mindset List. We know you’ve lived with your student for the past 18 years or so, and now that they’re off to college, see what two professors have to say about their “mindset.”
Every year, two professors from Beilot College (Tom McBride and Ron Nief) write a list reflecting the world view of each incoming class of freshman students. According to the Beloit website, “it continues to reflect the world view of entering first year students. This year’s entering students in the class of 2017 were born in 1995.”
Some of our favorites from the list, here at UniversityParent, include:
1. Eminem and LL Cool J could show up at parents’ weekend.
6. As their parents held them as infants, they may have wondered whether it was the baby or Windows 95 that had them more excited.
12. Their TV screens keep getting smaller as their parents’ screens grow ever larger.
27. Thanks to Megan’s Law and Amber Alerts, parents have always had community support in keeping children safe.
32. Their parents have always bemoaned the passing of precocious little Calvin and sarcastic stuffy Hobbes.
57. Their parents’ car CD player is soooooo ancient and embarrassing.
Sign up for UniversityParent’s weekly eNewsletter for additional tips and advice to help your college student succeed. You can also add to the discussion and get feedback from fellow college parents by joining our College Parents’ Facebook group.