Tips for Parents

College 101 – What College Forms Does My Student Need to Complete?

There are a lot of things to consider when sending your first child off to college. You may question where your new college student will live, what classes he or she will take, or what to pack for the trip; there are just so many items to think about and do.

One of the most important things parents need to do is make sure they have all the right forms completed before the first day of school. The college should be able to give you some guidance on the precise forms that they require, but there are some basic forms most incoming freshmen will need to have on hand. These forms include:

Personal Identification Form – The college will need to have complete contact information for your son or daughter, including phone number, and home address. Each college will have its own form, so check with the admissions office well in advance.

Identification Photo – Your son or daughter will be issued a student ID upon entering college, so the school may request a photo in advance while some schools support your student to take a picture at the time they got to get their ID.

Housing Questionnaire – If your college student will be living in the residence halls, the college will want to know about housing preferences. Check with your school and make sure you meet the deadline for housing assignments and roommate selections.

Health Insurance Forms –  Most schools will want to verify that your son or daughter has health insurance. If your child is still on your health insurance, be sure to make copies of all identification cards and submit them to the school. You may also be required to submit a health certificate for your child.

Academic Forms – The college may request additional information about the student’s academic background. This information makes it easier for the school to assign an academic advisor.

Work Forms – If your child plans to work while going to school, they will be required to fill out a W4 and perhaps a direct deposit form. The school will provide specific instructions for filling out and submitting these forms.

Allergy Information – Allergies can be quite dangerous, and colleges take them serious. Your son or daughter may be asked to list any allergies or intolerances on their health forms prior to starting school..

As you can see, colleges and universities require a lot of paperwork even after a student has been admitted, so the sooner you get started the better off you’ll be. You can start by contacting the school your child will be attending and getting a list of all the required forms for incoming students.

After your student knows which forms are required, he or she can concentrate on gathering the information needed. Be sure to follow up with the college and make sure that they have received all of the forms you submitted. You do not want to wait until the first day of class only to find out required forms have been left out.

Reference Source:

College Cupcake and Birthday Cake Delivery to campusRecent Articles

Get our newsletter

Email Submitted

Weekly Tips to Help Your Student Succeed