Tips for Parents
Tips for parents to manage the transition to an empty nest
The Democrat & Chronicle featured an article by Sue DiGiovanni, M.D., is an associate professor of psychiatry at the University of Rochester Medical Center with helpful tips for parents on transitioning to an empty nest: http://www.democratandchronicle.com/article/20090603/LIVING01/906030313/-1/COLUMNS.
According to DiGiovanni, parents can manage this transition by recognizing, accepting and adjusting to the inevitable changes to their lives. This may include the following:
- Talk openly and honestly with each college-bound child about your fears and anxiety.
- Respond positively to children’s expectations and excitement about their future.
- Find ways to stay involved and connected in your children’s lives.
- Redirect your time and energy to productive activities, interests and/or hobbies.
- Attend to your own physical and mental health.
- Seek support from friends and family who are in a similar situation.
Do you have any tips for parents about to make the transition to an empty-nest? If so, email us – [email protected]