By Anthony-James Green
Unlike the material that students read during their regular academic careers, SAT and ACT reading passages are delivered under blistering time pressure, and combined with a seemingly arbitrary and unpredictable set of questions to test comprehension and understanding.
This creates a challenge that many students have never dealt with before: not only must they comprehend the passages in full, but they also must determine which elements of each passage they need to memorize and which they should ignore. Investing time in irrelevant information is just as dangerous as failing to invest in relevant portions of each passage.
Fortunately, there’s a core constant that students can embrace: if the reader has a thorough grasp of the main idea and logical thread of each passage, the details become unimportant. Almost 70% of SAT and ACT reading problems can be answered with only a thorough understanding of the main idea, and the other 30% can be answered simply by rereferencing the details using their “mental table of contents.”
Because most students aren’t used to reading under time pressure, and very rarely have to think this way, their everyday reading habits don’t prepare them for the SAT and ACT. However, with a small change to their daily reading process, students can quickly and easily master the essential skills necessary to get high critical reading scores.
The most important reading skill that I teach to my students is called “hooking and looping.” The process is simple:
Both the SAT and the ACT reading sections contain peculiarities that require test-specific study. Students aiming for high scores should always spend the time necessary to gain a deep understanding of the format, time requirements, and question types of each exam. However, the core skill of reading with enhanced comprehension can be developed independently, and the development of this skill won’t just pay off on the SAT and ACT — it will pay off in every timed reading assignment that students face for the remainder of their academic careers.
Changing one’s process is always a bit challenging, especially for something as commonplace and automatic as reading. However, in my experience, my students usually react very favorably to this exercise. The increased clarity that comes from hooking and looping, and the enhanced knowledge and enjoyment derived from each piece that they read, more than make up for the slight inconvenience of trying something new.
Introduce this method to your child this evening and see what he or she thinks. After a few attempts, many of my students wonder how they ever read without it!
About the Author:
Anthony-James Green is the founder of Green Test Prep and a world-renowned SAT and ACT tutor with over 14,000 hours of experience teaching these tests. Anthony’s methods have resulted in higher average student score improvements than any other tutor or author in the industry. Business Insider recently named Anthony “America’s Top SAT Tutor.”
Did you enjoy reading this article? Sign up for UniversityParent’s new High School Parent eNews and purchase the Guide to Supporting Your Student’s Freshman Year for a preview of what’s ahead. You can also add to the discussion and get feedback from fellow High School parents by joining our High School Parent Facebook group.
306 S. Washington Ave
Royal Oak, MI 48067
Post your own housing listing on Uloop and have students reach out to you!
Flatscreen Rentals for Students. Roomate Packages Under $89. CampusTVs rents high-definition televisions to college students at a fraction of what it would cost to purchase from the local department store.
Display your business name, description, address, phone number, and a clickable link in a category that fits you best.
Parents choose our website first because we rank higher and solve more of their problems in comparison to the university pages.
Our Online Guide Listings get 5 times more click throughs than Google & Facebook Ads (average 10% vs. 1.5-2%).
“UniversityParent was one of the best resources when my son went to college. They have everything!”
“With my daughter going off to college, UniversityParent quickly became my #1 essential resource”