Health on CU Campus

What kind of student health center is available on campus?

CU-Boulder’s Wardenburg Health Center is a convenient, comprehensive, on-campus facility providing a wide range of medical, mental health, sports medicine, and community health education programs and services. The health center offers a variety of medical and health education services to meet your student’s needs. Whether they need a flu shot, medical care, mental health assistance, a woman’s health exam, dental care, massage, aromatherapy, or help with dating violence, sexual health, or wellness issues, Wardenburg Health Center is here for your student. All of Wardenburg’s physicians are board certified and the health center is accredited by the Joint Commission.

Are parents notified if there is an alcohol problem?

While the University of Colorado at Boulder believes it is appropriate to create and maintain adult relationships with students, there are circumstances in which the university will seek and welcome parental involvement. This may help combat the serious issues related to substance abuse and safety for students who are under the age of 21.

University staff may notify parents* when:

  • One action, or an ongoing pattern of behavior by your student, represents an imminent risk to the health, safety, or welfare of the student or other members of the campus community.
  • When we are aware that the student’s alcohol or drug-related condition requires emergency medical care.
  • If a student faces the possibility of suspension or expulsion because of violations of behavioral standards that may be repeated.
  • * At the permanent home address provided to the university, and as allowed by the 1998 FERPA (or the Buckley Amendment).

If, after you are contacted by the university, you wish to talk with someone at greater length about the incident involving your student, the Office of Student Conduct staff will only discuss your student’s record as it relates to alcohol, drugs, or violence. Cases that do not involve alcohol, drugs, or represent an imminent risk to health or safety cannot be discussed without the student’s expressed written consent.

What is the university’s policy on alcohol and drugs? Are treatment programs available?

CU-Boulder is committed to excellence in all aspects of personal and academic life. We recognize that alcohol abuse and misuse is a significant impediment to achieving this excellence. As a CU-Boulder student, your son/daughter is responsible for acquainting themselves with the laws and university policies regarding alcohol and illegal drugs. The Alcohol and Other Drugs Program also provides extensive information about CU-Boulder’s alcohol programs, policies, initiatives and resources. You can contact the program office at (303) 492-3149.

CU-Boulder also offers a number of resources for the treatment of alcohol and drug abuse. Counseling on substance abuse is available through:

  • Counseling and Psychological Services ((303) 492-6766)
  • Substance Abuse Program, Psychological Health and Psychiatry at the Wardenburg Health Center (303 492-5654)

My student seems depressed, is there anything I can suggest to help them?

Having an occasional down day is normal for everyone. However, if your student has been feeling down for a period of time, they may be experiencing depression.  Depression is characterized by several  things: low energy, inability to concentrate, isolation, irritability, poor sleep or oversleeping, overeating or eating too little, and lack of exercise. Depression can be treated. Your student doesn’t have to feel the way that they do, but they may need some professional help to feel better. Encourage them to stop by or make an appointment with a professional at Psychological Health and Psychiatry or at Counseling and Psychological Services. Your student’s mental health provider can help them come up with a plan to help them feel better. Your student doesn’t have to feel depressed!

CU-Boulder offers a number of mental health resources. Here’s a quick summary of services:

Wardenburg Psychological Health and Psychiatry (PHP):

PHP offers initial assessment and treatment planning services to all students on the Boulder Campus. PHP also offers short term individual counseling for issues such as adjustment, depression, anxiety, and relationship issues. PHP refers students to confidential psychotherapy groups within the clinic for longer term work or to community providers for long-term individual psychotherapy and counseling. PHP also has psychiatrists on staff who perform medication evaluations and management. Screening for ADHD and other Psychological Testing is offered at PHP on a limited basis.

For students who have purchased the Gold Health Insurance Plan, most visits include a $5 co-pay at the time of the visit. All other students will be charged full fee for PHP services. Contact Wardenburg Health Center Psychological Health.

Counseling and Psychological Services:

Counseling and Psychological Services provides free psychological counseling to all CU-Boulder students. This center is a safe place where students can talk confidentially with a professional psychologist or counselor who understands and respects their needs. A student can stop by the office in Willard 134 and a counselor or psychologist will meet with them, or the student can call (303) 492-6766 for more information. Contact Counseling and Psychological Services.

Office of Victim Assistance (OVA):

The Office of Victim Assistance provides free and confidential services for any member of the university community (students, faculty, staff, and their significant others) who have been affected by a traumatic life event. They provide support and information for people who have experienced a distressing sexual experience including sexual assault, intimate partner violence, harassment including sexual harassment, bias-related incidents, debilitating accidents, or a death. By providing and coordinating responsive support services, the OVA staff help individuals and communities recover after disturbing life events.

The OVA offices are located in Willard 217-219. OVA staff members are available Monday through Friday, 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m., except university holidays. Call (303) 492-8855 or e-mail for more information.

Raimy Clinic:

The Raimy Psychology Training Clinic provides confidential affordable psychotherapy services to CU students, staff, and the Boulder community. Psychotherapy is offered for a wide range of concerns, including depression, anxiety, phobias, shyness, panic, eating/body image concerns, marital/relationship issues, job or school problems, and family conflicts. As part of the doctoral training program in Clinical Psychology, the Clinic is staffed by advanced graduate students in the Clinical Psychology doctoral program who work under the supervision of licensed psychologists on the Clinical faculty or in the Boulder community.

Please contact the Intake Coordinator at (303) 492-5177 or by e-mail to inquire further about the services that are provided by the Raimy Clinic. The Raimy Clinic is located directly across from the elevator on the second floor of the D-wing of the Muenzinger Psychology Building on the CU-Boulder campus.

The Center for Multicultural Affairs:

The Center for Multicultural Affairs understands that providing a welcoming place where anyone can express themselves is paramount. They offer programs and services for all students, faculty and staff, with an emphasis on communities of color and first generation students. CMA services are free and  open to everyone at CU and are designed to help a person feel empowered to explore, develop, and realize their many strengths, as well as help them make  valuable connections within the university  community. They support CU-Boulder’s commitment to cultural diversity by offering innovative programs that foster full representation, participation, and success of people of color and diverse communities.

Your student can visit CMA at Willard 118, call (303) 492-5668, or e-mail for more information about:

  • individual/group counseling
  • grief and loss support group
  • ethnic advocacy
  • mentoring programs
  • Parents as Partners Program
  • First Generation Scholars Program
  • multiracial support group
  • Collegiate Leadership Development
  • Ally Development
  • People of Color Film Series

Finally, two other emergency resources parents should be aware of:

  • 24-hour Emergency Community Mental Health Contact Numbers
  • ULIFELINE, a national suicide prevention website that CU is registered with. It’s filled with information and help when you need it!
Recent Topics

Get our newsletter

Email Submitted

Weekly Tips to Help Your Student Succeed